Tymeg

Full Version: Uncle DT's Random Image Thread
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm not cognizant enough to remember any time that's specific like your example, but I'm sure there have been little occurrences that if I thought about them, they would raise little red flags.  But that one is pretty intense, that's for sure.
I was able to experience another "glitch" with a witness today. I was reviewing some code with another developer and he has the Copilot extension that is AI driven. Anyway, we're trying to diagnose an issue with some possible timing issues on a callback method. Since we can't have breakpoints we're going to just log some timing values in the console. So he creates a new property and initializes it with a the current date time. Now we need some code for checking how much time elapsed since the last callback and we figure 500 milliseconds should be good enough. As soon as he types "if(curDateTime" the Copilot finishes the rest so it looks like this:
if(curDateTime && curDate.getTime() - lastTime.getTime() < 1000) {
}

We were both like WTF just happened? I think we would be even more shocked if it used 500 instead of 1000. But still, how'd it know? And just as a note, we don't have any code in our code base that uses any kind of timing protocols or anything, so it's not like it was just using some existing boiler plate code it found somewhere else in our project...
That fits along the lines of I know my electronic devices are listening to me and devising ways to freak me out on a regular basis.  How many times have you mentioned something or even just thought about something, and within an hour or so you are seeing signs of that one thing that only you (and maybe the wife and kids) know...
The whole thinking your devices listening to you isn't wrong. It's been proven and yet the worrisome thing is that the majority of people just don't give a crap. Although, after working at SR I've come to the conclusion that most devices are a bit sentient and it pays to talk to them nicely and let them know they've been doing a good job. Now for that other thing, look up Baader–Meinhof phenomenon; otherwise known as frequency illusion. I remember a time back in high school someone mentioned a car (I forget which one, I thought it was the Ford Probe, but that wasn't it) and I said I never seen one. They showed a picture of it and I was like, that's butt ugly. The next day I kept seeing them everywhere...
So the hope is that when Skynet does finally materialize, the machines will remember that you were kind and overlook your existence and leave you alone?
If that's a side-effect I'll take it. I talk to them more to keep them working properly. I don't know when the last time I had to clear a paper jam or had to use percussive persuasion to get something working again. I also make sure to say "thank you" to the powers of the universe when I drop a screw and it actually rolls right back to my feet instead of rolling under the smallest gap and the furthest point that any rod or stick will reach...
Yeah, I dunno.  I'm not trusting of the robots today, and that Black Mirror episode Metalhead just makes things worse.
Well, that's what happens when you let Lockheed Martin or Raytheon use AI for things other than simple tasks and writing fiction...

(look up Tay from Microsoft - ChatGPT should have remained behind locked doors for at least another two decades - ask it to name the game from Activision that had blocks you would have to jump on and watch it come up with 4 paragraphs about the game, the title, the author, when it was released and the cover art - and yet, that game never existed)
What's bad is the military is just egging them all on...
If something can be used to make the world better, you can guarantee that the governments will take it to make the world worse...
It's either big government, or big corporations with their deep pockets that the governments have their hands in...
One thing that is cool with some new tech is the ESP32 allows you to run AI and voice recognition while staying completely fenced in on your local network. Finally, the tech I want to use but haven't because the major players (looking at you Google and Amazon) required you to go through their APIs. I'm probably going to start looking at the home automation/smart home stuff again...
I like the idea of fewer aliens since most people around here all seem like aliens lately.  As I get older, I better understand the "get off my lawn..." mentality.
I don't know if I understand the common "get off my lawn" mentality, but mine's more on the side of "get off my lawn because I don't trust you enough to not do something absolutely stupid while you're there".

And that was my very first campaign map. Check this out. Turn the page and I bet there'll be a big smile on your face...
Most of my get off my lawn mentality is primarily because I don't trust that you're going to be stupid as well.  I was that age once, I remember some of our crazy shenanigans.  

I had recently found that stash of modules and had fun perusing and remembering them.  And yeah, B2 was the one that most of us cut our teeth on.  And this was another deep dive into nostalgia around that same time...