Tymeg

Full Version: Uncle DT's Random Image Thread
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I was looking in the cheese case last night and saw one that's been on my bucket list, so of course I had to get it.  I've heard it's not really available here in the US, so it surprised me.  And yes, it's pretty damn tasty...
So I had to look that one up. What I found was interesting to say the least, especially the use of mites. But this passage made me really wonder how horrible Mimolette must taste if they add the main "unpalatable ingredient" to improve the flavor...

Quote:Flour mites contaminate grain and flour by allergens and they transfer pathogenic microorganisms. Foodstuffs acquire a sickly sweet smell and an unpalatable taste.

Flour mites are intentionally inoculated into Mimolette cheese to improve the flavor.
Hmmm, I hadn't thought of that.  Then again, I didn't think the cheese was very sweet either...
I don't have a problem with bugs as a food source. What I do have a problem with is eating them in their natural state. I eat shrimp, after it's been de-shelled, beheaded, de-veined and the little legs ripped off (tails are optional) - same should hold true for most large bugs...
To most people eating bugs isn't a pleasant thought.  Then again meat isn't very appetizing to a lot of people, and especially if it is quite on the cold and red side...
Now here's a beef dish neither of us will eat..
Well, I can say that the beef looks pretty tasty.  I've gotten over my aversion to the occasional pea that's mixed in with other things like in chicken pot pies and stuff.  And I do like them when they are raw, or still in the pod, or in stir fry and not cooked to mush...
I like cooked peas a little al dente. Overcooked or peas from a can are down right nasty. And I've changed my diet to eat pretty much all of my vegetables without salt or butter so I can really appreciate the flavors now. As for the split-pea soup, that picture you posted would make me cringe. However, you've never had my wife's split-pea and ham soup. As nasty as it looks, it's downright fanfuckintastic...
A lot of my veg are sans butter now too, but I will add a little salt and pepper.  Except for baked potatoes, they need butter, salt, pepper, sour cream and bacon (if I cooked any).  I'll add chives or garlic chives a lot of times as well....
I'm glad I'm not a vampire...
Then you should visit Gilroy CA in July...
I like my garlic roasted, not charred to a deep dark crispy lump of coal...
You forgot about the mudslides too...
Sometimes good things happen because of bad events...
Then there's the good things at good events...