Tymeg

Full Version: Uncle DT's Random Image Thread
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
My latest "series" that I have been watching is just a channel on YouTube: Steve's Small Engine Saloon.  This dude lives in Canada, eh, and just talks about fixing small engines.  He has saved me tons of money just showing how to troubleshoot and adjust carbs and everything.  Like a couple of months ago I got the saw out to cut up some firewood and the damn thing wouldn't start.  I don't have time so I took it to the shop that I brought another mower to once and they quoted $140 to replace the air and fuel filters, fuel lines, and carburetor.  Add in the already paid $40 diagnosis and it's not worth it, the saw didn't even cost that brand new.  That's when I found Steve's channel and I checked the carb, it was good.  Maybe next time I might just need to rebuild it but even a brand new one is just $30.  But it turns out the fuel lines were all cracked and brittle.  So replacing those and the two filters was about $20, plus the satisfaction of doing it myself.
I love the satisfaction of being able to fix it myself. My best is when I fixed the butterfly throttle valve assembly on the sport bike. The dealer wanted $1,300 to repair it. Doing it myself cost me $0 and just a little bit of time to disassemble it and re-solder some connections on a PC board. And I had to fix it again 2 years ago with the same issue (missed one of the motor winding connectors). As for carbs, I rebuilt my ATV's once. What an absolute pain. The rebuild kit is $35. A brand new carb is $60. That's a no-brainer. I don't have to mess with the jets, the gasket and that damn float that would still let gas pour out. Pop out the old carb, pop in the new one. Done. And the double satisfaction when you turn it on and push the starter button and it fires right up...
Oh yes!!  It's amazing the endorphines that must pour out when you fix something yourself and it starts right up.  Just the satisfaction of fixing it and then saving a little on top of it is such a feel-good.  I had to replace the throttle body on the 300 recently and was quoted $400.  I know you can clean them yourself but most of the pages said it's not worth it unless you have the tester to verify you didn't screw something up so I opted for a rebuild.  One hose clamp, two cable connections and four bolts.  Thirty minutes later, $290 cheaper and it's done, no more lightning bolt warning on the dash...

I've been fixing tv's lately now too.  I picked up a 4k 55" Sony that someone was giving away.  Troubleshoot it down to the main board that isn't detecting the power (or something along those lines).  $60 later and voila, new tv for the mountain house...
I think the first thing I fixed at the house was the washer. Spent $75 on a new motor timer and was amazed at how easy and how much was saved. Since then I fixed a leaky valve and the dryer's belts and hamster wheel fan. And these are my original washer and dryer we bought in 1994 and they're still going. If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy...
Wow!!!  The original washer still?  That's impressive!!  Especially considering how much obsolescence is built into appliances these days.  I'm on my second washer, only because someone was giving away a really nice set for $100 because the washer didn't work.  A new main board and I have a $2000 front loader set that is amazing...
Generally, when fixing a part, I'll look at its design and I may opt to buy 2 or more. The wife's vacuum cleaner head attachment snapped. When I looked at it, I said this is some bad engineering. This part is designed to break over time. I bought 2 collar attachments. Sure enough, 5 years later and it broke again. At least I had the part and was able to fix it that day. My next repair will be on the bike. Last time I took it out for a spin, no rear brakes (not like I use them, but I do test to make sure they're there - which they weren't)...
Maybe it's time to get that 3d printer and reengineer that vacuum head attachment.  My steam cleaner has the same issue but with the part that the cord wraps around.  It sticks out too far and the cleaner is just slightly "back" heavy.  If it falls backwards onto a flat hard surface, that part breaks.  The first time they recognized it as a design flaw and just sent us a new part.  The second time they wanted $15 so I just coil the cord and hang it over the handle.
Oh, I picked up a 3D printer last year. Here's some coasters I'm working on. You can't see them very well, but the stack of green "discs" in the middle were all 3D printed. I was hoping to have them done 2 weekends ago, but I've also been learning how to use epoxy resin and I had to order more and the bottles didn't come in until 2 days ago...
Ooooh, very cool!!  I probably don't have the patience to learn the 3d software today, otherwise I would probably have one.  Then again, too many other projects going on also has my time allocated for fun projects pretty limited...
It takes me a while too to get most of my projects done because of time and other commitments. And that cup is full of porter like this jar is full of pilsner...
Hey, you use a party cup and my first thought is "mmmmm, beer...."
I don't remember the last time I drank something out of a red party cup. I also don't remember the last time I slid my nose across a table either...
But do you remember the last time you had your thumb resting on the table?
I think it was two years ago at a work lunch get together - I won (only because no one knew what I was doing)...
Can you imagine if someone picked up on it and put their thumb down next...