Tymeg

Full Version: Uncle DT's Random Image Thread
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've learned to start keeping it to myself. Although, I want to just blurt it out again. And here's a shot - maybe not from that trip, but it was at Jay...
That's probably the one I referenced in that email....
I actually remember that one and it was a rush because it was nothing but trees on the landing and screamed through there with such an adrenaline rush. My only major wipe-out on Jay was Valhalla when one of those little trees grabbed my ski and tossed me backwards. Stopped short of just going over a small cliff...
Damn, how many memories are there of just the big trips that we did, not counting the days we skipped work or pulled all-nighters at local places...
That was the most awesome week ever. The best marathon one I remember was skiing Powder Ridge until 3am. Crashing back at my place. Heading out to Ski Sundown (or Mt. Southington) for the day and then hitting Mt. Tom at night. Or was it Powder Ridge until 3am, Sundown the next day, Mt. Tom at night, crash back at my place and then Mount Southington for the day...?
Yup, I would absolutely agree.  Best.  Week.  Ever.....  I'm pretty grateful that we decided to keep a log of our activities as well.  And send postcards from every stop.   Cool  (Being the bastards that we are....)
It's been decades since I've skied Stratton. It's probably the only time I didn't mind being woken up at 5:30 in the morning...
I haven't gone skiing in far too many years and the last time I went it was difficult to do any bumps.  My knees just can't take that abuse anymore.  But one of my last trips was out to Vail.  While the conditions were pretty awesome, I didn't enjoy having that much powder.  And you can't get that many runs in when you're standing in lines for 45 minutes at a time...
It's been a while since I've been skiing. To tell ya the truth, I don't really care to ski by myself. Now if I lived close to Jay Peak, I'd definitely get a ski pass and then I don't think I'd mind skiing alone. What I don't miss are those lift lines and the idiots in them...
Those were essential movies on our trips, and especially during the summer when we would reminisce and wax nostalgic.  I didn't know that he passed away last year...

Warren Miller Tribute - Warren A. Miller, Oct 15, 1924 - Jan 24, 2018
That was a nice tribute. I had no idea either.

As for that mini cliff, this is what it looked like...
There's always an optical illusion in our pics.  Slopes aren't as steep, cliffs aren't as high, trees are sparsely placed, etc...
You were already half way down. That thing was at least 15 feet up. 15 feet doesn't seem like a lot until you ponder hucking yourself off it with a steep landing, moguls and trees to catch your landing. Now this shot you took captures some of the steepness (at least the height of the mountain), the trees that aren't really that spaced apart and the fact that there was enough of a jump to bring both skis back...
Ah yes, that's a much better perspective that shows some of why the glades were so much fun...
To this day I still thank the many guardian angels who kept me inches and split seconds away from my demise...