Tymeg
What happened? - Printable Version

+- Tymeg (https://forums.tymeg.net)
+-- Forum: The Main Forum (https://forums.tymeg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Random Image (https://forums.tymeg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Thread: What happened? (/showthread.php?tid=2)

Pages: Archived Pages: 1 2

What happened? - Blaze - 02-28-2017

So I updated the web server's PHP version and that caused a serious problem with the old forum software. Since I didn't want to revert back to the old version of PHP I decided to scramble and set up a new forum with a more up-to-date software package.

This took a little longer than expected since there's a ton of freaking options to go through.

Anyway, luckily I had the old forum stuff backed up because I plan on restoring the old random image thread in the next couple of days. And then I'll see if there'll be a way to merge the new one. Otherwise I'll just let the 3rd iteration continue on its own.

RE: What happened? - Kruger - 03-01-2017

Gotta love updates that aren't backward compatible. I know when I switched my host to the "supported" version of php, it broke a few things...

RE: What happened? - Blaze - 03-02-2017

So tonight I worked on the database scripts to isolate the random image posts and attachments. Those are mostly done. Now it's a matter of creating an application to tie them together and create new scripts for inserting into the database.

I did manage to create the 2,990 image attachments thumbnails that the new forum uses now.

Tomorrow I'll work on uploading the files and doing a few test scripts to make sure the inserts work without hosing the database.

RE: What happened? - Kruger - 03-02-2017

After making a backup, of course...

RE: What happened? - Blaze - 03-03-2017

Of course...

Well before the inserts happen there were 87 posts that used in-line images. I wrote an application that went and grabbed them from their respective web-sites. I have to now modify those posts to remove the in-line code. That'll be done by hand since it'll most likely be a lot quicker than writing code to do automate it.

The one nice bonus is that the timestamps used between the old and the new forum are the same so the posts will contain their original post dates. That was some good historical stuff there.

RE: What happened? - Kruger - 03-03-2017

I'm assuming you're planning to change those inline images to attachments so we don't eventually lose them to broken links.  How many posts have been removed over the years because of those.  How many of those posts were classic...  Damn the Internet!!!

RE: What happened? - Blaze - 03-04-2017

Done!

So doing things by hand suck. I bit the bullet and wrote a few more applications to scrub databases, transform data files, parse the exported data, create relationships with all of the data and build batch files to further automate the process.

Then there was the task of analyzing all of the images and building their thumbnails (in hindsight I could have disabled thumbnails - but oh well...) That was the longest part. And when you make little mistakes like forgetting a "\" or something and then having to re-run the entire process over again wasn't fun. In the end I was a bit glad I wrote the applications since re-running stuff was as simple as hitting F5 in the IDE.

In the end, there were 6,189 total images to upload and 3,094 posts to rebuild.

As for how many in-line links were lost over the years... I'd put the estimate between 20 and 40. Out of the current inline images that weren't pruned in prior years there were 99 and 36 were dead-links. However, thanks to the Internet Archive Wayback Machine I was able to recover 33 of them. The other 3 weren't entirely lost since, believe it or not, I actually remembered what they were and was able to find a similar image.

We're actually in better shape now than where we were last week.  Cool

All that's left now is to make a slight code change to display the attachment file names (you can see it if you hover the mouse over the image)

Anyway, that's for another day. Now it's time to drink beer.

RE: What happened? - Blaze - 03-05-2017

Here's a good one...

After checking to make sure that I did everything correct (I made it to post #930) I went to remove the first post since it was a duplicate. Well, at first I did a soft delete and that hides the post but keeps a placeholder area saying "post deleted". Figuring that was a bit annoying I clicked the little checkbox, then in the moderators options I see (1) post selected and click the Delete Post Permanently.

After about 5 seconds I think to myself, "that's sure taking a while". After 20 seconds I then thought, "I bet it's deleting all posts". Yup. All the posts were gone, the thread was gone and a quick check with FTP to see the attachment directory, all files were gone too. Crud.

Normally that would cause an "oh shit!" moment, a sinking feeling in the gut and a wave of panic.

Nope... It's 7:30pm and I have a movie date at 8pm... challenge accepted.

With FTP running, I go to my NAS and select all 6,189 files to upload. While that's going on I recreate the thread then hit the database to see what the new index numbers are for the thread, posts and attachments. I update my source code with the new index numbers. Re-run my program to create the new INSERT DB scripts for the posts and attachments. Run the SQL queries once the upload completes and I'm done.

At 7:55pm I was getting some popcorn and beer ready for the movie.

(and the database has been completely backed up now)

RE: What happened? - Kruger - 03-06-2017

Now, to see if your Facebook post generates any additional traffic...

RE: What happened? - Blaze - 03-06-2017

I don't really anticipate that it will. I only shared the post with our group. But you never know...

RE: What happened? - Kruger - 04-13-2017

Have we hit a limit on number of replies?

RE: What happened? - Blaze - 04-13-2017

It doesn't look like it. Based on my settings, I saw that it went to a new page and your post with attached image was sitting at the top. Are you able to see my reply to it?

RE: What happened? - Kruger - 04-14-2017

That was weird the way it acted when I replied.  Anyway, it seems to be working.

RE: What happened? - Kruger - 04-25-2017

There is still some weirdness going on.  I'm the last post on page 211.  When I checked this morning, it was bold to indicate a new post, so jumped to page 211 (the last page) and it's still just mine.  However it shows the last post is yours as of yesterday at 06:18 PM.  If I click the Last Post link right there, it takes me to the first post.

Next, jump to your profile and get a list of all of your posts.  The previous one is linked to with the Post: RE: Uncle DT's Random Image Thread link.  But that same link on the most recent post takes you to the first post.

pe - (post edit) - Logging out then back in doesn't fix things.

RE: What happened? - Blaze - 04-25-2017

I'll run a cleanup script to see if that'll do something. But when I clicked the last page link it brought me to my post.