Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Uncle DT's Random Image Thread
BB Gun fights were fun until you got hit and had to dig the BB out of your arm.  After that you wore your heaviest jean or canvas jacket when you played.  Then bow and arrows made it into the game when you didn't have a BB gun.  Now memory is not there anymore but I do seem to remember BBs hurt more than paintball, paintball hurt more than an arrow.  Falling out of trees and off of roofs hurt more than any of those, though...

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

and so what uranus is a star - Rob
-----------------------
Kruger
Paintball's still hurt the most. BB gun rule was 1-pump only so they would only bounce off you. Bottle rockets hurt if they hit ya, but they moved slow enough you could mostly dodge out of the way. Fell out of more trees than I can count and except for bouncing off limbs it was when the wind got knocked out of you is the only time I felt a bit of panic not being able to breath. We used to jump off garage roofs after school pretty often (funny, because none of us lived in a house) and only one kid got hurt when he landed on a board with a nail sticking out of it. The monkey bars were akin to trees - got the wind knocked out of me every time I fell off those...

Yup, getting the wind knocked out of you is a scary beyond just the pain...

-----------------------
Kruger
I almost fired up my DOSBox and loaded up some Doom to play, but I have other things I need to get done tonight. But remastering the classic Doom II with the Unreal engine would be something I'd buy...

I used to have the Windows Doom II Special edition (or whatever it was) that included both Doom and Doom II and ran under a Windows UI.  I wish I knew where that was, and then again, I dunno if it would even run on current Windows.

-----------------------
Kruger
The Doom Wiki has a few ways of how to get it to run on a modern day system. But for some reason I don't think it'd be the same as playing it on a vintage P90 with a mechanical keyboard...

Oh how I miss "real" keyboards.  These chicklet keys really suck, there's nothing like the clickety-clackety of those old school keyboards.  I still like the 800XL keyboard and while I never used one extensively, I have heard that the 800 keyboard was even better...

-----------------------
Kruger
Those chicklet keyboards are the worst. When I see people developing on their laptops with them it's like nails on a chalkboard. I have a wireless full sized keyboard with "real" keys in my backpack because I absolutely refuse to use the laptop keyboard for more than 2 minutes...

But even the "real" keyboards that you can get today have nothing on the keyboards that were around in the 80's and 90's...

-----------------------
Kruger
I've got a few old keyboard - just need a working PS/2 to USB adapter - but man are those keyboards big...

Yup, they're extra wide, extra high (deep?), and a little thicker and heavier than the keyboards today.  But the feedback and clackety keyboards were so much better.  It should be pretty easy to find a PS/2 to USB adapter.  I think you owe it to your younger self and the rest of the old farts in the office to bust that out and start using it at work.

I used to have a DB9 to USB a few years ago that I used to plug in an Atari joystick to use with Stella.  I wish I knew where that was to see if it would work on the Raspberry Pi...

-----------------------
Kruger
Two things wrong with your suggestion: 1) I am a full time telecommuter and work from home everyday now and 2) Even if I was in the office, I'd be the old fart as I'm the oldest of the devs. I used to have an new Atari CX40 still in the box but damned if I can find it. I actually tried looking for it last weekend but it's no where to be found...

I just saw a video where some guy just bought an *almost* NIB Falcon030 that has just a few hours on it.  The guy he bought it from had it as a backup and finally decided to get rid of it.  He shows the mouse and it's completely unopened/unused.  I would hate to think how much that one set him back...

-----------------------
Kruger
I'd speculate at least $1k in that kind of condition. Or he got super lucky and was able to get it for a steal. One of the last computer swap meets I went to at my old high school I remember seeing a Falcon there and was like "Ooooooo... nice". Of course I didn't get to play with it but it was cool to see it. I don't remember hearing too much about the TT though...

I'm guessing a little more than that.  When I made the comment there were a couple listed on ebay for middle 2's to 3's.  Ouch!  I can remember someone (I think it was Wayne?) bringing their Falcon to the AUGOGH meetings.  But I've never seen a TT in real life.  But I guess I could just set the Hatari configuration and pretend...

-----------------------
Kruger