Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Uncle DT's Random Image Thread
That h-blank was what allowed you to get all 256 colors on the screen at once which made for some pretty awesome demos...

Now we just throw more power at it and those advanced programmer moved onto writing really crazy code that allows you to do some awesome all in one box...

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Yeah, that is awesome!  I haven't graduated to a rack yet, and I'm not sure that will happen either.  I'm pretty happy with re-purposing an old desktop that has a few additional drives added and just letting it handle all of my storage...

and so what uranus is a star - Rob
-----------------------
Kruger
That one box allowed me to remove 3 physical server racks. I originally started with re-purposing old machines, but 1) they're loud as hell and 2) they consume a lot of power...

Even one rack would be overkill for me.  My network closet would consist of the modem, router, and a circa 2010 pc.  Not that much of a power hog and not much space that it all takes up.  And it's quiet anyway, so I've got no complaints...

-----------------------
Kruger
You could probably get away with a Raspberry Pi Zero W. I got one a while back and it's pretty cool. I have it running a web server kiosk thing (that's still a work in progress)...

That may end up being a fun project.  Maybe if I had something like this to build onto...

-----------------------
Kruger
That would be a fun project. I was just watching a Youtube video a few weeks ago on how to build a Raspberry Pi cluster...

I would agree, it really does look like a fun project.  I'll be doing some more research, it's getting time to look at building a new server...

-----------------------
Kruger
You could start with something like this with bits of wood and rubber bands holding it all together....

Why not just make the whole thing outta wood...

-----------------------
Kruger
But you need an original joystick to play effectively...

The first time the rubber handle came off one and I realized how much more responsive the joystick was, that became my goto first mod that every joystick got after that...

-----------------------
Kruger
And then when the 3rd party joysticks came out, this was the one to have...

That was probably your first experience of an ergonomic improvement too...

-----------------------
Kruger
And the stupid smartphone is going to evolve the species into hunched over troglodytes...